What I ate Vegan in Rome, Italy


This weekend I had a fantastic time in Rome and wanted to share with you some of the delicious vegan food I ate.

The Beehive hostel & cafe




Although we didn't stay at The Beehive it was near to our hotel and we went for breakfast as their cafe is open to anyone. Their breakfast menu is mostly vegetarian but they do offer soya milk for drinks and cereal. However, I went for the tofu scramble which was made with potatoes, peppers and tomatoes. It was really tasty and satisfying and the cubed potatoes were deliciously soft. When I return to Rome I would love to stay here!


Moka Cafe, Roma Termini







The Moka Cafe offers several vegan options, all of which I have tried on different occasions! In the mornings they offer two vegan croissants, one plain and one filled with apricot jam. I tried the apricot jam one and it was delicious- fresh and tasty, you would never tell it was vegan.
One afternoon I was in the station again and tried the vegan carrot cake. This does not look particularly exciting so I didn't know what to expect but I was very pleasantly surprised! It was moist and full of flavour,  I would definitely recommend it as a little pick-me-up when travelling.
Finally, the Moka Cafe offer a vegan sandwich, I actually tried this in the Florence Santa Maria Novella station but it was available in Roma Termini too. The sandwich contains grilled vegetables on wholemeal bread and also has lettuce and sun dried tomatoes in. This sandwich was nice, however, I don't love aubergine or sun dried tomatoes and tend to prefer to have something other than just veggies in my sandwiches, but it is very nice to see vegan options widely available in train stations.

Green & Go!






Green & Go is a takeaway bar with the option to sit in. They offer salads, wraps, soups and freshly squeezed juices and have many vegetarian and vegan options. They have four vegan wraps available- two with seitan, one with tofu and one with soya pieces and all with different vegetables and salad items. I went for the 'Okinawa' which had turmeric seitan pieces, avocado, raw carrot and rocket in. It was served toasted and was deliciously satisfying. 
I couldn't resist the vegan brownie, on offer with or without soya cream. I shared it with my friend and it was amazing. It had goji berries in and was chocolatey and delicious, the soya cream accompanied it perfectly. I would definitely return to Green & Go! as there are so many offer vegan options to try.

Grezzo Raw Chocolate







I don't tend to eat much raw food but when I saw that Grezzo have a 100% vegan raw menu I had to try some of the treats on offer! The selection of desserts and chocolates was impressive, myself and my friend shared a raw brownie and some chocolate hazelnut gelato made with raw chocolate. The brownie was tasty but was date based and still a little earthy for my taste. The gelato however, was amazing, It was rich and creamy and have a delicious bitterness to the chocolate. I'm not sure what it was made from but there were many other delicious sounding flavours to choose from.

Flower Burger




I had heard about Flower Burger before as there are several branches in Italy. They offer several burgers which are all vegan and come in many different colours! Myself and my friend decided to try the new Ocean Burger and a Cherry Bomb.



The Ocean burger comes on a blue bun made with spirulina extract, has a quinoa patty, guacamole, tomatoes and 'beach sauce'. It was really tasty and the addition of guacamole made it fresh and delicious.


The cherry bomb comes on a pink bun and has a lentil patty, bean sprouts, 'flower cheddar', tomato confit and 'rocktail sauce'. This was actually my favourite of the two as I liked the cheese and tomato confit. 
Both burgers came with wedges and a choice of vegan mayonnaises - flower mayo, spicy sauce, tartarella sauce, rocktail sauce, magik sauce or mushroom sauce! The coloured burger buns are a novelty but the burgers are tasty and it's great to have so much choice.

There are many other vegan options to try in Rome but this is everything I had chance to try in one weekend. I can't wait to return and see what other vegan treats Rome has to offer!