What I ate Vegan in Bled & Ljubljana, Slovenia



My recent trip to Slovenia was a bit hit and miss for vegan food. This was partly due to travelling with a bigger group of friends who are pretty keen meat eaters! This was also due to road trips and quite a bit of hiking resulting in grabbing food whenever and wherever we could. In reality many of my meals looked like this-




We stayed the first couple of nights in Bled and although we didn't find the supermarket in time on our first evening I had come prepared for breakfast with some alpro soya choco milk, bananas, Gran Cereale biscuits and some almond and peanut butter sachets. This was a substantial breakfast that fuelled the long days of walking and hiking.


Pizzeria Gallus

On our first evening in Bled we decided to go to Pizzeria Gallus. Just as I was looking through the menu trying to find the Marinara I found two vegan pizzas! They had a tofu pizza with tomato, tofu, aubergine, courghette, capers, olives and oregano and a vegan cheese pizza with tomato, vegan cheese, courghette, fresh peppers, fresh tomatoes, rocket and olives. I decided to go for the vegan cheese as it's something I never buy and I wanted to try something different.

As you can see, the pizza came with a mountain of rocket on, I assure you there was plenty of vegan cheese on it too! The pizza was tasty and the cheese worked well with the vegetables and rocket although I still find vegan cheese an odd texture. I was pleasantly surprised to find vegan options without them being advertised.


Public & Vegan Kitchen Bled

On our last evening in Bled, I did manage to convince my friends to try a fully vegan burger restaurant. This restaurant offers a few different vegan burgers which can also be offered as a salad. They also had hummus, a vegan tartar and chickpea fritters on offer along with many fresh juices.
We all ordered burgers and ordered two portions of potato wedges to share.


The wedges arrived first and we wolfed them down as we were pretty hungry by this point! They came with a ketchup, mayo, garlic and mustard sauce which was tasty. The wedges were deliciously soft and comforting and we were fighting over who ate the last one!

The burgers then arrived and they were huge! 3 of us went for the 'Club' which was made from courghette, sweet potato, mushrooms, pumpkin seeds, sesame, sunflower seeds, breadcrumbs and onion. The other 2 in our group went for the 'House' which was made from chickpeas, peas, kidney beans, peppers, oats, chilli and onions. When you order any burger you are given the option of a Buckwheat, Spelt or Corn bun. 





I had the club burger and as you can see, it was huge! I went for the corn bread and it was a lovely texture, I would definitely have it again. The burger itself was tasty but pretty stodgy and difficult to eat as it all fell out of the bun, personally, I always prefer soya based burgers. 

We then stayed one night in the capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana. Here this was more vegan options and I spotted that this bakery had a 'veganska' pistachio ice cream.

Lolita, Ljublijana



The cafe itself was really quirky with funky decor inside. They offered many cakes and desserts but I didn't see any that were obviously vegan. The ice cream stand outside, however, had a flavour list with 3 vegan flavours although the pistachio was the only one available on that particular day.




It was one of the most delicious vegan ice creams I've eaten, it was creamy, light and full of flavour with pistachio pieces inside. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for.

Organic Garden, Ljubljana

I found Organic Garden accidentally as we were wandering around Ljubljana just before we left. I just had to grab a wrap and a brownie to eat on the Flixbus on the way home!




Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to try a burger this time but as you can see there was many vegan sandwiches and vegan wraps to choose from, all of which were clearly labelled. The lady who served me was really helpful in telling what she recommended and even told me she'd given me the biggest brownie!


I went for the avocado, hummus and spinach wrap which was deliciously fresh and light.


I then tried the chocolate brownie which was made with black beans. This was made particularly amazing by the addition of chocolate chips, the texture was soft and cakey and I enjoyed every last crumb.

Slovenia (Ljubljana particularly) definitely had more to offer for vegans that I am yet to explore but I really enjoyed the few things that I found.