What I ate Vegan in Berlin, Germany: Part 2


Today I will be sharing with you the amazing food I ate on my recent visit to Berlin.

Cafe Dritter Raum




On Sunday we went to Cafe Dritter Raum as they have a brunch buffet, I'ts €12,90 for all you can eat brunch with a glass of orange juice included.

90% of the brunch foods are vegan including delicious almond pancakes. The brunch also included savoury salads, cous cous and pasta, potatoes and hummus. However, the highlight for me was definitely pancakes with peanut butter or vegan nutella and watermelon. I also really enjoyed the rice pudding.

The only thing I would say is if you don't speak German, be sure to ask what is vegan as not everything is labelled.

Green Market

While I was visiting Berlin the amazing Green Market was on, offering 100% vegan food from many stall holders and many other eco and vegan gifts, cosmetics and clothes stalls. Here are some of the street food options that I tried.

Mojewa food truck



As a sushi lover, the 'surrito' from Mojewa instantly caught my eye. They offered a 'no chicken' and mango sushi burrito and a vegan prawn surrito which I went for.

I cannot explain how amazing this tasted, I loved it! The vegan prawn was made from Konjac root and I've never tried anything like it before. It was served in a coconut tempura coating and a homemade peanut sauce. The surrito also had organic vegetables inside and mango and edamame.

You have to try Mojewa if you get the chance!


Sesamba



Another unique offering at the Green Market was sesambanana, a banana served with sesame sauce and coconut, chocolate or almond toppings.

The company are packaging free, using only the banana skin to serve the food in, which is amazing. I really enjoyed it, the sesame cream was strange at first as it reminded me of hummus! But the combination of coconut, banana, chocolate and the sauce was really good.

Reger burger


Whilst at the Green Market, my friend decided to go for a Reger burger. She went for a 'classy burger' which was bean based and she said it was really good.

Wilhelms Burger


Whilst exploring the next day we went to Wilhelms burger as they have a vegan burger.  'The vegan' had a block of smoked tofu, basil mayonnaise, avocado and tomato. The burger was really tasty, the tofu had good flavour and the basil mayo tasted like pesto.

Secret Garden Vegan Sushi

Wow, if you are ever in Berlin, you HAVE to try Secret Garden. As a sushi lover, this place was heaven!


We started with smoothies, I can't remember what was in them but mine had acai and other berries and my friend's had mango in.


I started with Yakitori, marinated soya kebabs. When it arrived the waitress lit the coal on the slate. My friend went for a noodle bowl which also had the soya kebabs, coleslaw, veg and udon noodles.

I would say this is one of the best soya dishes I've ever had! The texture was amazing of the tofu and the marinated flavour was so good.


We then ordered 3 lots of sushi to try. The flavoursome and colourful plant based combinations are impressive.





We started with the 'Golden Koi' which was made with black rice, avocado, cucumber, 'tender soy strips' and topped with 'butternut pumpkin' and almond pesto. This sushi was amazingly tasty, all the flavours worked so well together and as you can see the soy was like fake fish, the texture was impeccable. 


I then tried the 'Angry Samurai' which is black rice, avocado, mango and pulled soy strips and it was topped with asian slaw. The sauce was tomato- chilli but I asked for it on the side as it was super spicy! This sushi was also really good, the soy strips gave more of a meaty flavour but the combination was very good.


Finally, I tried the 'Geisha in love' sushi with black rice, 'thuna', beetroot, coriander topped with kidney bean and coconut and beetroot and raspberry sauce. The 'thuna' was amazing and again the flavours worked very well together. I didn't like this one quite as much as the others but only because I was not a massive fan of the beetroot and raspberry sauce.

I would 100% recommend Secret Garden, it was amazing to have so much choice and the restaurant setting is amazing, it was like dining a green oasis.

Coffee Fellows


While shopping in Alexanderplatz we went to Coffee Fellows as they offer a vegan bagel and serve drinks with almond and soya milk. I went for an iced vanilla coffee with almond milk and the avocado, hummus and tomato bagel. The bagel was really good and was well filled.

Coffee Fellows also have a vegan apple strudel which I didn't try. The staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating.

Lily Burger



On this visit to Berlin I had to make a return to Lily burger, this time we went to the express location. There weren't quite as many burger variations on the menu but there was still some amazing choices. I went for the 'BBQ cheese and bacon burger' and added vegan mac & cheese (because why not?). They offer a choice of a beany burger or seitan burger and now offer the beyond burger which I had to try. I opted for sweet potato fries and was offered a free topping but just went for vegan mayo instead. 


Wow, this burger was incredible. First of all, let's talk about the Beyond burger. This was my first time trying it and I'm in love, it took me back to burger van burgers after a night out at uni. It tasted just like I remember beef to and now I'm hooked.



The combination of BBQ, cheese, 'bacon' and the amazing mac& cheese with bacon bits in was just incredible. You would think it would be really rich and sickly but indulgent as it was, I still managed to finish it!

Lily burger is a must, anything can be made vegan or veggie and you don't have to miss out on any of the flavour.

Zazza


On my final morning we went out for breakfast to Zazza. I went for a chocolate soya milk and granola with soya yoghurt, fruit and nuts which was really tasty. The vegan options were not really labelled on the menu but they did have a savoury breakfast with roasted vegetables. When we asked they said that the yoghurt they use with the granola is always soya yoghurt!

When I went inside after ordering I also saw that Zazza had some vegan cake options including studel and chocolate banana bread but after my granola I was too full to try them!


There we have it, I think this trip to Berlin was even tastier food than the last! It will probably be my last visit to Berlin, at least for a few years, I will miss the abundance of vegan options.