What I ate Vegan in Vienna, Austria



The next stop on our summer trip was Vienna, I'm very behind writing these blog posts as it's been a busy summer but I will try my best to remember as much as possible as I thought it might be helpful for some of you.


Anker

We arrived in Vienna from Prague and were hungry for lunch. We walked past Anker a couple of doors down from our hotel and after a quick google search we found they had lots of vegan options available. Anker is a chain of bakeries offering sandwiches, bread and cakes to take away. They actually have one fully vegan branch but in all other branches the vegetarian and vegan options are clearly labelled with stickers on the price tags.

We found one vegan sandwich - 'Radieschen auf der Erbse'. Although the lady was very helpful she was not able to translate this to English for us so we took a risk and bought it anyway!



The sandwich had guacamole, radish, spring onion and coriander on it. It was surprisingly tasty and the bread was lovely and seeded.

We then noticed that as well as many wrapped vegan cakes and loaves to take away there was a vegan apple strudel and cinnamon roll in the counter. We got the 'Riesenschnecke' to share and it was delicious!



Tewa am Markt

That afternoon we met some friends for a tour of the city. We stopped in Naschmarkt for dinner at Tewa. There were a few vegan options on the menu with the allergens were clearly listed, the staff were also very helpful. 


I went for a falafel wrap with hummus, tahini and salad. It was very good. I had it with a mango Caipiroska cocktail and it was delicious.


Veggiezz

The next day, after a long day of travelling and exploring we went to Veggiezz. This is an all vegan chain of restaurants with an extensive menu!


We started with Rose spritzers.




My friend went for the Vegan Carbonara, it was made from a miso cream sauce, smoked tofu and vegan parmasan. I tasted it and it was really good.


 They had 4 burgers to choose from and with each one you could choose from a green spelt patty, a seitan patty or a gluten free patty. I chose a seitan patty and the smoky burger which comes with balsamic onions, sauteed mushrooms, vegan cheddar & BBQ sauce. I also got a side of guacamole.
  

My burger was good, the flavours and toppings worked well together. However, I was disappointed with the texture of the seitan burger as I prefer a more 'meaty' texture and a burger that is not so sloppy.



For dessert, I got the bounty cheesecake and my friend got a cherry and chocolate muffin. Both desserts were very good. The cheesecake was a good texture and light and fluffy, not too rich. The muffin was good and had a cherry jam filling.

Swing Kitchen

Swing kitchen is a chain of fast food restaurants that is 100% vegan. They claim to be the home of the 'real vegan burger'. They offer several different burgers, wraps and salads and some desserts too.


I went for a 'kitchen wrap' which was vegan schnitzel, basil-lemon sauce, salad, red onion, tomato and cucumber. My friend went for the 'vienna burger' which was vegan schnitzel and garlic sauce. We both got # fries!



My wrap was really tasty and the texture of the vegan schnitzel was very good. I would definitely recommend swing kitchen for those vegan junk food cravings.

Veganista

I'd been wanting to visit Veganista for a while after following them on instagram and I was not disappointed when I saw their flavour selection. Their ice cream is labelled to say whether it is made with rice milk, soya milk or oat milk. They have lots of interesting looking flavours including lavender and matcha. They also offer vegan cookie ice cream sandwiches which look amazing.


The flavours I went for were peanut butter cookie and 'kokosblutenzucker', this flavour was coconut sugar and had a slight caramelly taste. I also had a little taster of the 'Rock Me Amadeus' which was a fudgey flavour and was also really good.


 I know if I lived locally to Veganista I would be a regular customer as I'd love to try all of their flavours!

Voodies

Our final meal in Vienna was spent at Voodies. This is another vegan fast food chain (you are killing it Vienna!) offering burgers, salads and not dogs.

We decided to go for not dogs. I got the Slaw dog which was a green spelt sausage, chilli sin carne, coleslaw and mustard. The chilli was really good with the coleslaw and sausage and I really enjoyed it, although the green spelt sausage was an interesting texture!


I got a fresh orange and lemon juice which was really refreshing and we got 'real dutch fries' which were deliciously greasy and naughty!


Overall. I was really impressed by the amount of vegan chains in Vienna. However, by the time we left for our last leg of the trip I did not want to eat fries, burgers or hotdogs for a few days!