Vegan Traveller Tips: Italy

As a vegan who loves travelling and spends a lot of time in train stations I wanted to share some tips with you on travelling vegan in Italy, from my experience.




Spar- Interspar & Despar

Lots of train stations in Italy have some kind of Spar supermarket (in varying sizes). The vegan choices I've found are a olive and pepper focaccia and these two sandwiches.




I haven't tried the tomato, chickpea 'cream' and olive sandwich as I'm not a fan of olives but the Tofu, courgette and basil cream is yummy. The sauce is made from soya and tastes like a basil mayo. This sandwich is a great option when travelling and when I'm not sure of the food options wherever I'm going.

Edit- I actually found single versions of these sandwiches in Venice Marco Polo airport!





Most Italian (or European cities for that matter) cities have a tiger, lots of them are in train stations too. When you get peckish I recommend picking up some dark chocolate rice cakes as they are only €1, cheaper than most supermarkets do them. Just make sure you get the dark chocolate ones.


Pam-

Again, Pam can be found in lots of Italian cities. This one was right next to the train station in Rimini- check out the free from section!




This section included egg free, dairy free and gluten free options. I was there in the afternoon and in search of a sweet street. I picked up these chocolate biscuits and they were ok, not amazing but good for desperate times!


While I'm here, I just wanted to mention my favourite chocolate! I like dark chocolate but Don't love the really bitter kind. I love this dark chocolate as it's only 50% cocoa but is a bargain at 99c or 75c on offer.