Vegan Trieste: Welcome Bistrot



I wanted to tell you all about the incredible vegan meal I ate at Welcome Bistrot Trieste. I was visiting Trieste alone and arrived at the restaurant just as it was opening at 7pm (I was clearly on English time and not Italian time). I was greeted by the lovely lady who served me all evening, I had the place to myself for the majority of my meal because it was early but was made to feel very welcome.
The decor of the restaurant was unique and quirky. I loved the mishmash of pastels and patterns and the bookshelf.




The menu of the day was pointed out to me as it changes daily and is a set menu including an appetizer, main course (mine had 3 elements), dessert and tea. I was given the option of green tea or fennel and went for fennel tea as I can't have caffeine. It was much nicer than expected, I've never had it before!
The menu looked great and I was amazed when the lady told me that it was all vegan. 5 elements and tea for €15, what a great deal?!









The appetizer arrived quickly and was hummus and tomato on bruscetta. It tasted strongly of garlic which I love, it may have been the best hummus I've ever eaten!
The main course had 3 elements- spinach pasticcio, potato and onion pastry tart and courgetti with turmeric sauce and there was also a tomatoey mayo which the lady made a point of telling me was vegan because she had made it herself! It was all so delicious. The spinach pasticcio was a bit like a vegan omelette and was tasty. The sauce on the courgette was incredibly tasty but my favourite was the caramelised onion and potato pastry tart which was to die for! The sauce was yummy too.






After a short break to digest, my dessert arrived. It was vegan crepes with apricot jam and was tasty. I did initially think it had black pepper on the top but it didn't (I'm not sure what it was)!


My whole meal was delicious and I was bowled over by the friendly service and the huge range of choice for vegans! If you're in Trieste you should definitely give Welcome a try.